Design and Analysis of Surveys
3 days: 7 - 9 February 2018
This course covers the principles and practice of designing surveys, and the analysis of data from them. The following topics will be covered:
- Survey methods: face-to-face interviews; on-line surveys; phone interviews; paper questionnaires.
- Questionnaire design: open and closed questions; wording and ordering; layout and length of questionnaire; memory and recall; sensitive questions; pilot testing.
- Measurement: types of data; Likert scales; reliability.
- Sampling methods: simple random sampling; stratified sampling; systematic sampling; cluster sampling; multi-stage sampling; non-probability methods.
- Sample size and non-response.
- Estimation of population means, totals and proportions.
- Cross-tabulation and analysis of survey data.
- Analysis of ordinal responses.
Each of the three days will consist of four approximately equal-length sessions; the first session of the day will commence at 9:00 a.m. and the final session will end at approximately 4.45 pm. The sessions will mix lecture presentations with practical work; tutorial help will be available.
All participants will have access to a PC. The statistical package SPSS will be used in the course.
A certificate will be provided on completion.
Participants will need to have some understanding of statistics at an introductory level. For example, participants should know about hypothesis tests and confidence intervals. The course "Statistics for Research Workers" would be suitable preparation.
The presenter is Associate Professor Graham Hepworth, Deputy Director of the Statistical Consulting Centre in the School of Mathematics & Statistics. Graham has had extensive experience over three decades in the area of design and analysis of surveys, in fields such as medicine, the social sciences, education and agriculture.
The course will be held in the Giblin Eunson Library, Parkville campus.
Parking within the University grounds will not be available.
Trams are conveniently located on Swanston Street and Elizabeth Street,
the centre encourages sustainable forms of transport.
- The cost of the course is $880 (incl. $80 GST).
- We have a discounted rate for University of Melbourne postgraduate students of $660 (incl. $60 GST, GST does not apply if paying through your University department.)
- The fee includes a comprehensive set of notes. Food is not provided.
Enrol using credit card:Credit card payment
Other payments require an application form:Other payment methods form
Please send completed enrolment forms to:
Statistical Consulting Centre
Richard Berry Building
The University of Melbourne, VIC 3010
Email: dmai@ unimelb.edu.auor fax: 8344 7499.
If you have difficulties downloading the form or any questions related to the course,Submit an enquiry form
or contact Deb Maillardet on 8344 6995.
If you would like to register your expression of interest in 'Design and Analysis of Surveys' , please complete and submit the following: